It took the Blackhawks losing on the final day of the regular season as well as the Dallas Stars choking versus the Minnesota Wild, but here we have it, Canucks versus Blackhawks for the third year in a row. Like most Canucks fans, I was cheering for the Dallas Stars to win their final game, […]
As you’ve no doubt heard by now, the Vancouver Canucks have locked up the President’s Trophy as the NHL’s top team in the regular season. We know this because they absolutely took the night off in their first meaningless game against the Edmonton Oilers on Saturday night! But I digress. They’re the top dogs, which means we know that they will play whichever team ends up in 8th place in the conference. In case you haven’t seen the NHL standings in a while, here they are:
The Chicago Blackhawks are back in town! Slated to play the Canucks on Friday, Jonathan Toews and company are currently 8th in the conference, which of course means “if the regular season ended today” the Canucks and Blackhawks would meet in the 1st round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs! So what do you think of that Canucks fans? Does that worry you? I have to admit, it worries me a little.
The so-called “parity” of the salary cap era is on display, as the three top seeds are now eliminated in the East. But what about the parity between the West and the East? It seems as though the only strong team remaining in the East is the Pittsburgh Penguins and compared to their counterparts in the West; San Jose, Chicago, Detroit and Vancouver, they look overmatched.
This image (along with this song) has haunted Canucks fans for almost an entire calendar year. Patrick Kane, mouth guard dangling and all, scoring the insurance goal late in game 6, his third goal of the night. The Canucks insist that they should have won that series, to which I disagree (they had fewer points than Chicago, and were beaten in six!). The Hawks were the better team last year, and throughout the regular season have been the better team this year. No doubt, they are the favourites. With that said, this series should be a close one and could go either way, depending on a few keys of the series:
Recent PostsPopular Posts
- Why We Hate: The Chicago Blackhawks December 18, 2013 55410 commentsWhy+We+Hate%3A+The+Chicago+Blackhawks2013-12-18+08%3A01%3A23Stu+Elmeshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5541
- Canucks vs Wild Game Preview – December 17, 2013 December 16, 2013 55610 commentsCanucks+vs+Wild+Game+Preview+-+December+17%2C+20132013-12-17+02%3A39%3A47Steve+Lancashirehttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5561
- About Milan Lucic: enough already! December 16, 2013 556317 commentsAbout+Milan+Lucic%3A+enough+already%21+2013-12-17+02%3A36%3A23Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5563
- Milan Lucic gets into an altercation outside a Vancouver nightclub December 16, 2013 55407 commentsMilan+Lucic+gets+into+an+altercation+outside+a+Vancouver+nightclub2013-12-16+09%3A39%3A19Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5540
- An unbiased review of the Bro Jake Show on Team 1040 September 11, 2013 437379 commentsAn+unbiased+review+of+the+Bro+Jake+Show+on+Team+10402013-09-11+07%3A13%3A37Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D4373
- Why we hate: the Boston Bruins December 10, 2013 550573 commentsWhy+we+hate%3A+the+Boston+Bruins2013-12-11+07%3A07%3A02Stu+Elmeshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5505
- Ryan Kesler December 2009 Calendar Wallpaper!!! November 30, 2009 77324 commentsRyan+Kesler+December+2009+Calendar+Wallpaper%21%21%212009-11-30+10%3A12%3A02Binh+Hohttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.canuckz.com%2F%3Fp%3D773
- Canucks fans boo Mike Gillis, ignore reality November 6, 2013 491321 commentsCanucks+fans+boo+Mike+Gillis%2C+ignore+reality2013-11-07+07%3A36%3A34Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D4913