I wasn’t planning on doing a preview for Latvia, Norway, Austria or Slovenia (aka the other guys), but I’ve had a change of heart. Sure, only the top eight countries are likely to be a factor in the Olympic tournament, but anything is possible. Nobody thought that Belarus had a chance to beat anyone in 2002, but they upset Sweden in the quarterfinals. Nobody thought that Switzerland would steal a point against Canada in 2010 either (Canada’s trouble with the Swiss set-up a much tougher matchup against Russia in the quarterfinals). So lets take a look at the other guys!
Perhaps no country in the world has so many wildly passionate fans as Latvia. Ice hockey is wildly popular in the tiny former Soviet country of about two million people. Their fans seem to be a presence at every tournament and I’m sure Sochi will be no exception.
After yet another home loss, the Vancouver Canucks return for the final game of their 6 game home stand Monday night against the Los Angeles Kings. Has Drew Doughty said enough to fire up the Canucks? Read on to find out.
The Vancouver Canucks are looking to build on a decent effort vs the Columbus Blue Jackets in a Saturday night tilt vs the hated Chicago Blackhawks at Rogers Arena. The Canucks will not lack for motivation as the Blackhawks are arguably their biggest rival. One thing is for sure, we won’t have to hear the horrid sounds of “Chelsea Dagger” that torment on a nightly basis.
The Canucks finally scored more than 2 goals and cruised to a relatively uneventful 6-2 win vs the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Blue Jackets completely stink, but it was a moral victory for the Canucks to see the red light turn on multiple times. Daniel and Henrik Sedin took over the game and showed the rest of the team that if you can get in the dirty areas it pays off.
Hey, I decided to get off my fat semi retired ass and do another Top 6! “Fuckin’ Awesome!” I hear you thinking. I’m sure nobody’s life is affected one way or the other if I do or don’t do a Top 6, but if for some inexplicable reason it’s part of your Friday routine, I’m sorry it wasn’t here last week. Took a day trip to Cathedral Grove. In case you’re not familiar with it, it’s a provincial park outside Port Alberni that contains some of the tallest trees in the world. Pretty cool stuff if you happen to be in the neighbourhood.
The Canucks are back at Rogers Arena Friday night for their second and thankfully final tilt of the season against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Will the Canucks suck again? Or will John Tortorella have scared the living hell out of them?
Canada will try to defend its status as Olympic hockey champion in Sochi and it won’t be easy. Canada won’t have the home crowd or small ice surface to their advantage like they did in 2010.
With 78 days until the start of the Sochi Olympics and 40 days before the team has to be named, here are my choices for Canada’s Olympic hockey team in Sochi.
In my final Olympic preview (Rob will finish things off with a look at team Canada tomorrow) I take a look at the country with the most medals in Olympic hockey with NHL participation: Team Finland.
As we start to wind down our previews of the top contenders taking part in the Sochi Olympics, I tackle my toughest task: projecting Team Switzerland.
The Vancouver Canucks look to get back into the win column with a Tuesday night tilt vs the Florida Panthers at Rogers Arena. The game against the Panthers marks the return of our old friend, Tim Thomas. Thomas has been mediocre at best in his return to the NHL and the Canucks would be more than happy to break their scoring woes with the crusty veteran between the pipes. Check out his helmet, that thing looks ridiculous!
As the Vancouver Canucks offence has shriveled up and gone AWOL there has been mounting pressure on Mike Gillis to make a deal; from both the “pretend” and real media alike, and even more so from the fans. The preferred target of any deal would of course be an impact forward that could play in Vancouver’s top six or if they can’t land that, a third line center.
There are several variables to factor into any hypothetical trade here like who they would get, what they would give up and how will that player fit with the Canucks – and even when one knows them the outcome is generally impossible to predict. Taking this into account, even someone so opinionated as I can’t judge a trade that hasn’t happened yet, even with Gillis’ track record. What I can do, however, is opine against making a trade and opine against it I shall.
At the very crux of this argument – about whether the Canucks should make a deal or not – is my belief that this team is no longer a serious threat to compete for a Stanley Cup and as such they should not act under such delusions. One would think that their status as a playoff bubble team right now (in 9th place in the West, with a 11-8-3 record good for 25 points in a league high 22 games played) would speak for itself on that front, but hey, legitimacy as a contender is in the eyes of the beholder, or something, right?
Recent PostsPopular Posts
- It’s time to re-sign Mike Santorelli December 8, 2013 54891 commentIt%27s+time+to+re-sign+Mike+Santorelli2013-12-09+07%3A12%3A11Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5489
- The Twitter Life of Jeff Paterson December 8, 2013 54731 commentThe+Twitter+Life+of+Jeff+Paterson2013-12-09+06%3A30%3A37Ian+Lusherhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5473
- Canucks vs Hurricanes Game Preview – December 9, 2013 December 8, 2013 54690 commentsCanucks+vs+Hurricanes+Game+Preview+-+December+9%2C+20132013-12-09+05%3A28%3A50Ian+Lusherhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5469
- Canucks vs Avalanche Game Preview – December 8, 2013 December 7, 2013 54530 commentsCanucks+vs+Avalanche+Game+Preview+-+December+8%2C+20132013-12-08+00%3A33%3A15Steve+Lancashirehttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5453
- An unbiased review of the Bro Jake Show on Team 1040 September 11, 2013 437376 commentsAn+unbiased+review+of+the+Bro+Jake+Show+on+Team+10402013-09-11+07%3A13%3A37Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D4373
- Ryan Kesler December 2009 Calendar Wallpaper!!! November 30, 2009 77324 commentsRyan+Kesler+December+2009+Calendar+Wallpaper%21%21%212009-11-30+10%3A12%3A02Binh+Hohttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.canuckz.com%2F%3Fp%3D773
- Canucks fans boo Mike Gillis, ignore reality November 6, 2013 491321 commentsCanucks+fans+boo+Mike+Gillis%2C+ignore+reality2013-11-07+07%3A36%3A34Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D4913
- Bieksa to Columbus? Got to Love Offseason Rumours July 2, 2010 169120 commentsBieksa+to+Columbus%3F+Got+to+Love+Offseason+Rumours2010-07-02+19%3A17%3A52Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.canuckz.com%2F%3Fp%3D1691