“Just because you can skate, it doesn’t mean you’re going to have a successful time out there” – Mason Raymond.
In what is probably second only to news regarding Dale Weise in terms of making me aggravated, the Vancouver Canucks have announced that they have come to terms with restricted free agent and worlds filthiest little milt, Mason Raymond.
Raymond, as you may remember, was taken to club elected salary “cut-down” arbitration to have his $2.6 million dollar cap hit reduced as much as 15%. The Canucks and Raymond agreed to a one year, $2.275 million dollar deal.
Raymond, coming off of an injury shortened year, had been the subject of much discussion amongst the fans and the media in Vancouver. Once noted for having a breakout 25 goal season, Raymond, even when healthy has struggled since.
I understand that last season was a different story. He suffered a major injury in game six of the finals, he had a long recovery that drastically reduced his off season training, quite possibly eliminated most , if not all of it. However, he was still pretty bad the year before the back injury. But that’s just my opinion.
Other than appearing to have much more confidence in interviews than someone as awful as he has been should, Raymond appeared in 50 regular season games, notching 10 goals and 10 assists for 20 points. He was also guilty of one of the worst defensive plays I’ve ever seen anyone commit in game 4 of the Western Conference quarter finals, when Kings center Anze “The Crypt Keeper” Kopitar made him look worse than his smile in the above picture.
In all seriousness though, if Raymond can turn it around and score 20 goals this season, then the $2.275 doesn’t look so bad. Especially considering Blake Comeau and Lee Stempniak are still employed by NHL teams. But if the man with the worst facial hair continues to struggle with prolonged pointless streaks, staying on his feet and his physical game then he may find his way off the team before seasons end.
Thanks for reading. Sorry if you were eating when you saw that picture.
Follow me on Twitter! @Mitch_SBMedia
Recent PostsPopular Posts
- Montreal Newspaper: “Gino Odjick needs help” December 3, 2013 53860 commentsMontreal+Newspaper%3A+%22Gino+Odjick+needs+help%222013-12-04+05%3A30%3A54Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5386
- Sochi 2014 Olympic Hockey Preview: Team Slovenia December 3, 2013 54041 commentSochi+2014+Olympic+Hockey+Preview%3A+Team+Slovenia2013-12-04+05%3A01%3A35Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5404
- Burrows sidelined indefinitely with broken jaw December 3, 2013 53901 commentBurrows+sidelined+indefinitely+with+broken+jaw2013-12-03+09%3A11%3A28Tyler+Wildehttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5390
- Canucks vs Predators Game Preview – December 3, 2013 December 2, 2013 53662 commentsCanucks+vs+Predators+Game+Preview+-+December+3%2C+20132013-12-03+01%3A59%3A09Steve+Lancashirehttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D5366
- An unbiased review of the Bro Jake Show on Team 1040 September 11, 2013 437375 commentsAn+unbiased+review+of+the+Bro+Jake+Show+on+Team+10402013-09-11+07%3A13%3A37Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D4373
- Ryan Kesler December 2009 Calendar Wallpaper!!! November 30, 2009 77324 commentsRyan+Kesler+December+2009+Calendar+Wallpaper%21%21%212009-11-30+10%3A12%3A02Binh+Hohttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.canuckz.com%2F%3Fp%3D773
- Canucks fans boo Mike Gillis, ignore reality November 6, 2013 491321 commentsCanucks+fans+boo+Mike+Gillis%2C+ignore+reality2013-11-07+07%3A36%3A34Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.robthehockeyguy.com%2F%3Fp%3D4913
- Bieksa to Columbus? Got to Love Offseason Rumours July 2, 2010 169120 commentsBieksa+to+Columbus%3F+Got+to+Love+Offseason+Rumours2010-07-02+19%3A17%3A52Rob+Williamshttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.canuckz.com%2F%3Fp%3D1691