Rob The Hockey Guy

// A Vancouver Canucks Hockey Blog

The rumour mill is heating up with regards to Willie Mitchell and shockingly it appears the Canucks may still be in the race. It looks like the free agent d-man is now symptom free and will be ready to start the season. He has also reportedly narrowed his search to four teams: Washington, Detroit, San Jose and Vancouver. Mike Gillis didn’t do anything to curtail rumours, admitting to talking to Mitchell.

So this raises an interesting question: how on earth can the Canucks fit Mitchell under their cap? Well, if he’s willing to take a one-year deal worth $2-2.5 million, they could make room (trade Bieksa/O’Brien, etc). In my view, they ought to make room for Mitchell if he’s willing to sign for under $2.5 million (he may also be eligible for a performance bonus laden contract because of the amount of time he missed last season). He was perhaps their most important blueliner last season, which makes his concussion history worth the risk.

Brown in, Walter out

Ryan Walter has been let go by the team and replaced by former Ducks assistant coach Newell Brown. Walter was a guy brought-in by Gillis and it’s unsure as to why he was let go. Perhaps it’s that he never was on the same page as Alain Vigneault or that the team didn’t respond to his approach.

More Larscheid News

The drama continues around the dismissal of Canucks broadcasting legend Tom Larscheid. Ed Willes of the Province has theorized that he was let go at the request of Mike Gillis. The theory is that Gillis wanted a less critical broadcaster in place to call Canucks games and put pressure on the Team 1040 to dismiss him. Willes has reason to believe this according to his sources but it should be noted that Willes rips Gillis at every chance, so take it for what it’s worth. At the same time, I would find it very hard to believe that a respected journalist such as Willes would totally cook this up. Perhaps we’ll never know the real story.

Related Posts

14 Response to Mitchell Talks with Team, a New Assistant Coach, more Larscheid Rumours and more!

1. Skeeter on August 5, 2010

I find it incredibly easy to believe that Willes heard some rumours from "those darn sources" and irresponsibly wrote a column without investigating further just so he could rip on Mike Gillis some more. Very easy to believe. n nI have no respect for Ed Willes whatsoever; in what world is he a respected journalist? A journalist might have actually investigated the allegations, contacted the Canucks front office for comment, and avoided slanted comments such as "at least you hope that's the case." It was a garbage column designed solely to bash Gillis and sell newspapers.

2. Skeeter on August 5, 2010

I find it incredibly easy to believe that Willes heard some rumours from “those darn sources” and irresponsibly wrote a column without investigating further just so he could rip on Mike Gillis some more. Very easy to believe.

I have no respect for Ed Willes whatsoever; in what world is he a respected journalist? A journalist might have actually investigated the allegations, contacted the Canucks front office for comment, and avoided slanted comments such as “at least you hope that’s the case.” It was a garbage column designed solely to bash Gillis and sell newspapers.

3. Tonyz Tanti on August 9, 2010

I think you have to give Willes a little more respect here. I think most people would consider him a respected journalist and he writes an editorial and is expected to give his opinion. He's shouldn't be fabricating stuff though of course. I don't see the point in asking the Canucks front office if they were behind this though, that's like asking a murderer if he was the one who committed the murder. Clearly they will deny it no matter what their involvement. Journalists also never reveal their sources in situations like this or else they'd never get information. n nIt's possible that Willes exaggerated this and there could be no involvement from the Canucks. It's also entirely possible that Willes talked to some people in the know (perhaps someone who works for the team or radio station) who gave him credible information. To be honest, I haven't heard a reason for Larscheid leaving that makes more sense. Saying the Team 1040 wanted to get younger or go in a new direction just doesn't make sense to me.

4. Tonyz Tanti on August 9, 2010

I think you have to give Willes a little more respect here. I think most people would consider him a respected journalist and he writes an editorial and is expected to give his opinion. He’s shouldn’t be fabricating stuff though of course. I don’t see the point in asking the Canucks front office if they were behind this though, that’s like asking a murderer if he was the one who committed the murder. Clearly they will deny it no matter what their involvement. Journalists also never reveal their sources in situations like this or else they’d never get information.

It’s possible that Willes exaggerated this and there could be no involvement from the Canucks. It’s also entirely possible that Willes talked to some people in the know (perhaps someone who works for the team or radio station) who gave him credible information. To be honest, I haven’t heard a reason for Larscheid leaving that makes more sense. Saying the Team 1040 wanted to get younger or go in a new direction just doesn’t make sense to me.

5. vancitydan on August 9, 2010

Funny stuff. Ed Willes is NOT respected. He is a muckraking columnist that lets his personal animus cloud whatever integrity he once had. n nTommy wanted to retire before. He was convinced to stay. There is no story there. n nMost telling is Ed tried the lame "my sources" say bit. Name the source or just shut up Ed. I suspect there is no source, if only because other real reporters followed up and talked to all the "sources"…like Team1040 guys and team sources, and none back up Ed. n nAs for Willie, the Cap is not a problem. With Salo on LTIR and a trade for Bieksa coming…there you go…under the Cap! n nEasy peasy…

6. vancitydan on August 9, 2010

Most telling is Ed tried the lame “my sources” say bit. Name the source or just shut up Ed. I suspect there is no source, if only because other real reporters followed up and talked to all the “sources”…like Team1040 guys and team sources, and none back up Ed.

Easy peasy…

7. Tonyz Tanti on August 9, 2010

Which newspaper reporters do you respect vancitydan? n nTommy wanted to retire before? No, he contemplated retirement, there's a difference. n nEvery reporter has sources they use that they can't reveal. It's how they get information. If you're Ed Willes and someone from Team 1040 tells you "the Canucks forced us to fire Larscheid" but doesn't want to be named, what would you do? Name them anyway? That'll be the last time you get information like that if you do so. Or else should he just sit on the information? n nNot saying that Willes is right or wrong, but I don't think you can be so sure either way.

8. Tonyz Tanti on August 9, 2010

Which newspaper reporters do you respect vancitydan?

Tommy wanted to retire before? No, he contemplated retirement, there’s a difference.

Every reporter has sources they use that they can’t reveal. It’s how they get information. If you’re Ed Willes and someone from Team 1040 tells you “the Canucks forced us to fire Larscheid” but doesn’t want to be named, what would you do? Name them anyway? That’ll be the last time you get information like that if you do so. Or else should he just sit on the information?

Not saying that Willes is right or wrong, but I don’t think you can be so sure either way.

9. vancitydan on August 9, 2010

Well Tanti…I repsect actual reporters. Ed is a columist. He has no expectation of telling the truth. Its all his opinions. n nIts funny that you try to defend him by saying that he is protecting sources, when every possible source at the TEAM has shot down the story. Period. n n Tommy wanted to retire two years ago. He was out the door, when the TEAM and the team asked him to stay. He did. But it wasn't contemplation. It was a done deal. n nWhy is it so tough for you to believe the man himself, the team, the TEAM sources, and everyone else that discounted this column as soon as it came out? n nI am sure because I have lived in this city for almost 30 years, and have followed the team longer than that. Ever since Eddie's buddy Nonis got canned, he has written negative columns about Gillis. n nThat is why I am 100% sure.

10. vancitydan on August 9, 2010

Tommy wanted to retire two years ago. He was out the door, when the TEAM and the team asked him to stay. He did. But it wasn’t contemplation. It was a done deal.

I am sure because I have lived in this city for almost 30 years, and have followed the team longer than that. Ever since Eddie’s buddy Nonis got canned, he has written negative columns about Gillis.

That is why I am 100% sure.

11. Skeeter on August 9, 2010

Bingo. I'm not asking him to name his sources, but he obviously put in little to no legwork to confirm the information before writing his column. It's irresponsible at best, muckraking at worst.

12. Skeeter on August 9, 2010

Bingo. I’m not asking him to name his sources, but he obviously put in little to no legwork to confirm the information before writing his column. It’s irresponsible at best, muckraking at worst.

13. Tonyz Tanti on August 12, 2010

I’m not saying it’s true or it’s not true, but if it were true, then this is exactly how any newspaper reporter would report it (by quoting inside sources, but not revealing them).

Vancitydan: do you think that the Team 1040 and/or the Canucks would ever admit to pushing out a guy like Tom Larscheid? Of course not. They would downplay it. Not saying it’s for sure true, but saying “every possible source at the Team has shot down the story” is a bit laughable. Not only have they downplayed the incident (I listened to them all day and didn’t know that Larscheid was let go and didn’t resign).

In any case, I think it’s important to be critical of Willes because he does carry a bias as we have seen. But it is also important to be careful not to believe everything that the Team 1040 and the Vancouver Canucks tell us as well. I mean really, the only source you can ever trust 100% is Canuckz.com right? RIGHT. [this message was brought to you by http://www.canuckz.com

14. Tonyz Tanti on August 11, 2010